Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Chickens In The Kitchen

I'm a big fan of homemade canned fruit. I have not ventured into canning yet, but my in-laws have been doing it for years, and most times we visit them, we come home with a box full of jars! I've been enjoying canned apricots and applesauce.



I am also a fan of cutting boards in the shape of animals. Chickens and pigs especially. My own cutting board is a chicken from J.K. Adams out of Vermont. I have other cutting boards too, but they're not as cute.



I find that having chickens in the kitchen makes the kitchen feel so much more... kitcheny. (Or should that be chickeny?)



On our recent trip to Bainbridge Island, we ventured into a wonderful bookstore there called Eagle Harbor Books. Browsing led me to discover Minnie Rose Lovgreen's Recipe for Raising Chickens, which is something I would love to do someday. I bought the book even though my raising chickens may be far off in the future. There are lovely illustrations, as well as practical topics such as keeping chicks in your house, medical care, and moving a broody hen.



I'm not the only one in the house who likes chickens. Pug has his very own chicken too.