Friday, September 17, 2010

Crazy Nine Patch Lattice Quilt Part I

I'm taking a quilting class over at Modern Domestic taught by Elizabeth Hartman of the cute quilt blog Oh, Fransson!  It's my first quilt class ever, and we're making the Crazy Nine Patch Lattice Quilt of Elizabeth's design. I think it's so cute.

First I spent what felt like (and may well could have been) hours cutting fabric and getting it ready.  I got a 12 1/2 x 12 1/2 size ruler, which is so far turning out to be extremely useful.

This is an interesting quilt to make.  Instructions are on Elizabeth's blog, and as my husband pointed out when I explained to him how it worked, the method is a little bit like a rubik's cube.

I love this fabric combo.  It's so cheery to look at.

Here you can see it coming along.  The quilt's starting to look a little crazy, in a good way!

The project involves cutting through 9 layers of fabric, which by the time you have already sewn a few seams, can be tough cutting through.  Scissors were employed as well.

After they're done, the next step was squaring them up.  Elizabeth illustrated a good way to do this using one of my blocks.

Here are two finished blocks created by a friendly classmate. It's so much fun to see the fabrics other people pick out, and I can't wait to see how all of our quilts will look.

And here are four of my blocks.  I have nine total, and my homework for the week is to do this two more times so I have twenty seven in all.

In Pug news, he is really quite fond of sleeping on our clothes. Well, that's not really news, but it is a cute picture!