Thursday, April 22, 2010

From The Kitchen: Crêpes

On the menu this morning: crêpes. They're the perfect breakfast food. They may not be healthy, but you can add healthy toppings if you wish, like fresh fruit. I find that making crêpes first thing when I wake up makes the day feel so much slower and calm. Stirring ingredients together is a good way to get going.

When I make crêpes, I use a tried and true recipe from Betty Crocker's Cookbook (I have the Bridal Edition). I keep eyeing Alice Water's recipe for crêpes from The Art of Simple Food (not the buckwheat ones though-- reminds me too much of Russia). Her crêpes, however, require being made the night before. Someday I'll try it when I'm in a scheduling kind of mood . But when so many things in life need to be planned, I like to keep the cooking I do relaxed and somewhat spontaneous.



I used to use non-fat or 1% milk when baking, just because we had it on hand. I now always use whole milk. It makes a big difference in the final product.



These crêpes are very easy to make. I use a crêpe pan, but any non-stick pan will work.



Placing a piece of wax paper in between each crêpe makes it easier to separate them later. I put a towel over top the finished crêpes to keep them warm while I cook the others.



Pug had his eye on the crêpes and toppings. This morning, we had fresh strawberries, strawberry preserves, and homemade applesauce from Jeff and Judy.



One of my favorite toppings on crêpes is butter and applesauce.



Husband put butter and preserves on his first crêpe of the day.



I couldn't forget pug...



I made him his very own pug-sized crêpe.



He ate the strawberries first.



And then he gobbled down the crêpe!

Crêpe recipe from Betty Crocker's Cookbook:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups milk
2 Tbsp butter, melted
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs
Butter, stick margarine or shortening

1. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients. Beat with hand beater until smooth.

2. Lightly butter 6- to 8-inch skillet. Heat over medium heat until bubbly.

3. For each crêpe, pour scant 1/4 cup batter into skillet. Immediately rotate skillet until thin layer of batter covers bottom. Cook until light brown. Run wide spatula around edge to loosen; turn and cook other side until light brown. Repeat with remaining batter, buttering skillet as needed.

4. Stack crêpes, placing waxed paper between each; keep covered.